Monday 8 October 2012

Broc the Strong and Wise

Look into my eyes...
I am Broc, the strong and wise
Digging deep through mother earth
 I know courage and what it's worth;

To follow the path which you hold dear
And  be released from a prison of fear
I'll guide you through the womb of night
And teach you noble ways to fight

Older than your kind am I
Yet some men claim that I should die
Look again into my eyes...
I am Broc, the strong and wise.



So as the legalised brutality and needless cruelty of the Badger Cull is just around the corner (lest we have the power to halt it -  which I hope with all my heart that we do), I have been drawn (no pun intended) to the iconic Badger more and more. Not only to observe their beauty and tenacious character, but also in thinking in more Shamanic terms of their power and Totemic medicine.

The fight to stop the cull seems to be hope-less, my local MP, whom I wrote to about it agreed that there is no proof that this cull will work, infact the scientific proof is stacked up against it working, and in the end causing thousands of lives to be lost, countless other Badgers to be maimed and injured (as the cull will take place at night), and in other news it will cost ye olde tax payer millions over the 4 year proposed cull time. Yet the Government are ignoring this and ploughing on with the cull regardless. Vaccination is the ONLY way that has a chance of stopping Bovine TB. 

Anyhow, I digress -  the seeming lack of hope was the point, surely Badgers are known to fight for what is theirs and knows the power of well focused aggression  One of the many 'medicines' of the Badger is to turn apathy into action, to focus, and take strong practical steps to achieve a goal. Also the Badger shows you how to be unyielding and fight for what is right. There ain't no hopeless giving up when Broc is around.

In Oak, Ash & Thorn by D.J Conway it states that: Badger (Broc): Is unyielding in the face of danger and is noted for its tenacity and courage. In the Welsh tale of Pwyll's courting of Rhiannon, a badger is mentioned as a guide during dreaming. The badger will teach you to fight for your rights and defend your spiritual ideas.

Digging deep is also something Badgers are known for, and perhaps spiritually and morally this is something we can take on board right now. Dig deep into our hearts and our souls, we must not let anyone destroy what we love, and we have no right to destroy such an ancient and wise creature as the Badger. 


'Cull is state-backed vandalism'—Badger Trust


Artwork and words Copyright Laura Daligan (unless otherwise stated).

Never Give Up - Never Be Silent

No comments: