Wednesday 4 May 2011

A Review of An Ogham Wood...

A Review of 'An Ogham Wood' by Cliff Seruntine







'An Ogham Wood' - A Tale which Sings to your Soul

I absolutely adore this book. It is a rare, magical tale which weaves it's narrative into your very being with glittering threads. An Ogham Wood is a tale of love, loss, grief, redemption, the faerie faith, the earth, the sea, and what it means to have a soul. I felt moved to write a review for this book as I feel An Ogham Wood deserves to be read and re read by many, many people. I guarantee that whilst you are reading it you will have at least 'one foot in faerie!'

This book is a hero's tale with a human twist, showing that dark things can not only happen to good people, but sometimes must be done by good people, and the results of what this can do to the human psyche. It's a faerie myth which spans thousands of years and sings to your soul as well as firing your imagination.

I think the most striking thing about An Ogham Wood is that it feels real. To me this book is a real, living, breathing myth which grips you from the very beginning, til long past the last page. There are some things in life which just feel 'right', like they've always existed in some form or another, and we are simply waiting to rediscover them. This book, in the best possible sense is a beautiful example of one of these instances.

I love the characters, the folklore and I love the beautiful dark mysteries and light laughter of faery which are woven so well throughout this story. And yes, I was crying whilst reading it on the train, as I approached the final chapters...

The wonderful cover artwork by Marc Potts is absolutely beautiful and works with the book so well.

It's hard to sum up such a well researched, rich and emotive book, but all in all this story teams with ancient mystery, and is a must for those interested in magic, faery, or simply for those who enjoy a poignant love story...

I can't wait to read more of Cliff Seruntine's books...

Here's a link to the book on Amazon.

2 comments:

The Fey Haven said...

It looks like a good book but I will wait until I can get it cheaper. Paying less for books means I can buy more books, lol ;)

Anonymous said...

My review seems to have hit on some of the same topics. I choked up too at times especially at "For our souls!" http://dmiley.livejournal.com/78189.html